Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Twilight bug bit me....no pun intended, ok it was.

I am embarassed to admit that I recently started to read again. I know I should of never stopped. I had given up on one of my favorite past times about 3 years ago. This is because reading started to be no fun for me because of school. It sucked the pleasure right out of it when alls I did was read things I was forced to read. I did not get to chose what I read. Anyways, It wasn't until on our honeymoon to Ireland, we had a ridiculous lay over (due to rain) at the Kentucky airport that I went to the Borders store and bought P.S. I Love You. It had recently been hyped up due to the movie and I remember wanting to see the movie. So my only alternative to that was buy the book and read it. I needed something because the airport was ridiculous and I was less than thrilled to be robbed of 5 hours of my precious honeymoon vacation time. I started the book.....and it was all fine and dandy until about page um 8 or so when the main character's husband, the love of her life, died of cancer. I believe my thoughts were..."oh no, this is a SAD SAD book". Wow....what a great choice for a new wife going on her honeymoon. I tried to push on and continue reading and ignore the sudden rush of thoughts in my head trying to wrap my logic around that odd timing. But I loss. I put the book down and started flipping through a magazine my Mother in Law gave me for the trip. I had never read O magazine, but shit, I practically memorized that whole magazine. I probably would of read ANY magazine at that point, which was my best option. Anyways, of course I was just that much more annoyed that the book was nothing of what I expected. After I contemplated about returning it, I decided to keep it for a later time. I just knew I wasnt going to read it anytime soon, no matter how desperate at the airport I was. I still couldnt stop thinking about the first 10 pages I read, it started to make me realize even more how lucky I was. Sure, for a good while I was just shocked about the subject matter and the timing, but slowly it started becomming a little sign, one that I needed to not ignore. How every moment we have is precious and that you just never know when your time, or anyone's, will be up. Here I was, starting a new life with my husband, arrogantly assuming that we have our whole lives to live and be together. Now, obviously, I will focus on that and hope for that- but I cannot be certain. It just made me sad to even try to imagine being in her position after being married for only a few short years, and only knowing your husband was sick for a couple months before he passed away. I realized that could be me in the future, how awful, oh God please do not let that be our story. I got side tracked with what I meant to write about. This was an attempt at figuring out when I started reading for fun again. It started with a book purchase in the airport in June. It ended shortly after that, but then started back up again in October when I was going on a road trip to Lawrence, KS. I went to grab a book and that was the only one I had not read yet, so....since it had been 4.5 months since I was married.....I wasnt all blissfully happy and on a high from the wedding. I figured, I could hack reading a sad story. I was right. I got very involved in it and it was a great story. I ended up reading it all in a week. I even took it to work and spent a couple of my breaks reading it. I couldnt quite put it down. I loved it. I then rented the movie and was thoroughly disappointed (of course). Anyways, the book is great. So then I was eager to figure out what the next book I would read would be. I really enjoyed the writing style of this last one, so I thought I would pick up another book by the same author. Well that didnt happen, by this time it was mid November and I decided to ask for some books by her for Christmas. This leads me to my real point of this blog. I then started hearing about Twilight. I had heard talks of it MONTHS ago from my cousins who had read the first book, but I didnt think much of it. It wasnt until my sister, Savanna, told me how amazing the books were and that I really should read them. When I heard the plot and that it was about vampires I was not even close to being intrigued. As much as I trust her judgement, I still didnt really feel inclined to entertain the thought of reading them. I mean she had said the same thing about the Harry Potter books years ago, and I started to read the first one and stopped by the 4th chapter and never opened it back up. I have seen and fairly enjoyed the movies though. Anyways, I kept hearing her talk about it and then I would hear the hype of the movie. I didnt really think anything of it. I then thought about going to the movie around Thanksgiving. But my sister was adament about me needing to read the book first. REALLY adament about that. I was like, I am NOT going to read the book! I have no desire to. Then about 2 days after I said that to her, I was on a girls weekend to Dallas. We had about an hour to kill and I was bored as hell and so I saw the book Twilight in the car. I picked it up and decided to at least read until our friends arrived...they are painfully late...BEYOND fashionably late to everything...so I knew I had a good hour or so to read. I went in to it thinking I would just read to pass the time and probably wouldnt get into it. Well I was dead wrong. It was a page turner to put it lightly. I stayed up way too late the first night reading about a 1/4 of it!! Oh course, I had to text my sister to tell her I was reading it. She was more than thrilled to learn of this. She demanded that I let her know when I finish it. Anyways, I finished it in 4 days. That just screams NERD. I know. I admit. It was so hard to put down. I admit, parts of the book made me tear up, laugh out loud, get goosebumps, get butterflies in my stomach, feel a pit or ache in my stomach and encounter strange emotions. I remember pausing a few times, coming back to reality for a bit and trying to soak in my reactions to a freaking book. Anyways, I am now in the middle of the second book, it is just as much the page turner as the first. I have seen the movie, twice. It is good, but of course the book is a million times better. So, I admit, as much as I tried to deny getting sucked into the masses, the Twilight bug bit me........deep.

3 comments:

Kendra said...

You blog like me...with not apparent rhyme or reason and get side tracked! I love it!

Needsleepy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Needsleepy said...

LOL Sorry about that...had a lot of typos in that last comment. (Band aids suck when typing!)

I love the Twilight books. I read ALL the time. I usually have a book I put in my purse (if by miracle I actually leave my house and have to "wait" anywhere...I have a book to read)
In the last two months, I have probably read one entire shelve of my bookcase lol. I picked up Twilight on sell and I read it in two evenings. I couldn't put it down! It was an easy read with a great story...just what I needed lol. I then gave the book to my sister to read...now we are both addicted. :-)

Have you seen the movie? I would be curious to know what you thought...